Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Royal Start to the New Year


Greetings and salutations, and a Happy New Year! There has been a bit of a quiet spell around here, but I hasten to assure you all that it was a comfortable silence, not a sinister one, in which I sat back affably and took stock of my various hobbies, doing a bit of this and a bit of that, and sighing wistfully when the holidays ended and it was time to return to work. Ah, well.

There have been a few stories from last year that I never did get around to telling...


In October, for instance, I received a letter from fellow Swiss typewriter collector Herr Alfred Wepf, in which he expressed a desire to have the Armenian Royal Quiet de Luxe I had left behind, as you may remember from this post.  Now, I myself had little use for it, and even though a couple of other typospherians were intrigued, it seemed a bit hard to justify for them as well. But Alfred was smitten, so I returned to the store on a rescue mission... and there was the case, just where I had left it.


After bringing it home, I took the opportunity to take a few photographs before shipping it off. Here is a look at the label affixed to the inside of the case... as you can see, it was originally sold in New York.


It was just as well-maintained as I had gathered from my first impressions, with the exception of a few baby dust bunnies here and there. I don't have one of these tombstone Royals myself, so I was glad to get a closer look and try it out.


The winter light was not exactly ideal, but I did my best. Quite a handsome machine, and a pleasure to photograph!


I actually held on to this for quite a while before sending it. Partly because I wanted Alfred to receive it for Christmas, as a surprise gift. So a week before the 25th, I brought home a large moving box and a good amount of cardboard, and wrapped it all up. In my haste, however, I forgot to add a card...

And so while Alfred did receive this in time for Christmas, he also sent me, quite unbidden, payment for it. Sigh. If you're reading this, Herr Wepf - the next foreign language typewriter I find will be sent to you as a real gift, and this time I won't forget to include a note :D


Of course, I took a few typing samples before she left:


I merely did a run through of all the letters, in both upper and lower case.


Here is a closer look.

The type slugs didn't need much cleaning, either.


Fare thee well, Royal, and here's to wishing you a very happy 2013 playing a starring role in Herr Wepf's fabulous collection!

5 comments:

  1. That's quite an interesting, and well preserved machine. Alfred is indeed a lucky chap.

    Missed your writing of late! And Happy New Year.

    Incidentally, you're not the only person to forget a card with a package. I did at least three packages like that. Being busy makes one absent minded sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always forget something. Usually when I send a typewriter it is a sample typed while I still had the machine.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see it even has Arabic numerals (har har).
    Nice to see you back, I hope we'll see more posts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rescued! I'm pleased that a collector has given it a nice home (:

    Good to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please note that comments are moderated; so this will be posted as soon as I have read it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...