Monday, June 13, 2011

Typecast: Trying something new


I love these outdoor displays - there you are, taking a walk along the lake, enjoying the scenery... and bam! You get to enjoy some thought-provoking art as well, without all the effort of actually going to a gallery or museum. Brilliant, really.

I vaguely recollect having seen posters for this around town, but I didn't read close enough to realize it was an outdoor exhibition. That said, coming across it by surprise was a happy accident. Zebra conversation translated: "As for me, my father is black and my mother white. ... And for me it's the opposite!"

Many of the cartoons were rather violent in nature, understandable if unsettling. On a pleasant albeit cloudy day in peaceful Switzerland, we were briefly transported to the restive locales we hear and read so much about in the news through the artwork of their citizens. I found myself hoping that wherever they were, these defiant defenders of free speech were all right, and would be able to continue their important work.

5 comments:

  1. First, just wanted to let you know that I'm happy to see this new post. I always look forward to your entries, you've shared some really interesting, original stuff. I always get energized over your typewriter market sightings!

    I also wanted you to know that I find myself periodically referring to your archives. I just recently purchased a new machine (a future entry!) and it was one of your previous posts that offered some really helpful info. I have you to thank for that.

    Finally, happy to hear you're trying out new things. I have never scanned a typecast. I find photography offering a lot more wiggle room for creativity. So I really look forward to the new direction you're taking, not to mention your plan to expand the topics you cover as well.

    You have a great blog, certainly one of my clear favorites in the typosphere. Do keep it up!

    Okay, I think this is longer than I planned. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! And great drawing by Nassim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could provide a little inspiration -- and I in turn got it from others. It's fun to be part of this intercontinental community of people who have mostly never met in person, but who react to each other's typewriting and associated hijinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the typewriter+AK-47 cartoon (Nassim's)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your changed blog focus will fit right in to the typosphere, I think it isn't so much about typewriters as it is about people and their impressions. I stopped acquiring new machines (with one exception) long ago.

    Great post, Berlin sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please note that comments are moderated; so this will be posted as soon as I have read it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...